McDowell Mountain Ranch Community Garden
We’re just a group of local people interested in gardening and our community.
We share the belief that community gardening can provide a terrific focal point for the McDowell Mountain Ranch community, something that will draw people out and get them involved.
We reckon you might share some or all of our beliefs with us and to achieve anything, we need you to move from “interested” to “involved”, to do whatever you can to help and to express your interest.Staying informed is as easy as filling out the Subscribe box on our home page, we’ll send you updates.
- Improves the quality of life for people in the garden
- Provides a catalyst for neighborhood and community development
- Stimulates Social Interaction
- Encourages Self-Reliance
- Beautifies Neighborhoods
- Produces Nutritious Food
- Reduces Family Food Budgets
- Conserves Resources
- Creates opportunity for recreation, exercise, therapy, and education
- Reduces Crime
- Preserves Green Space
- Creates income opportunities and economic development
- Provides opportunities for intergenerational and cross-cultural connections
How do gardens contribute to the community?
- A culture of contributing to and engaging with the local community is fostered within the garden group.
- Success depends on community contribution and participation in the establishment, use, development, management and maintenance of the garden.
- Gardens bring together people from diverse backgrounds in one place to share experiences and knowledge.
- As a hub for social events and an education programme (composting, pruning, rotation, propagation, seed saving).
- Sharing plants and produce with the community to encourage more local residential food production.
- Find MMR community members who want to help.
- Form a Planning Committee
- Choose a Site
- Prepare and Develop the Site
- Organize the Garden
- Start planting!
We are looking for Volunteers, Gardener’s, Sponsors, and financial support.